Player and Supporter Code of Conduct
PLAYER AND SUPPORTER CODE OF CONDUCT
Player’s Code of Conduct
• Play by the rules – the rules of your club and the laws of the game.
• Never argue with an umpire or other official – without these people, you and your team cannot play football.
• Control your emotions – verbal abuse of officials and sledging other players doesn’t help you enjoy or win any games.
• Be a team player – it’s a team game.
• Treat all players and officials as you would like to be treated – fairly and with respect.
• Co-operate with your coach, the umpires and team-mates.
• Participate for your own enjoyment & to improve your skills.
• Do not use offensive comments based on race, religion, gender or ability – you’ll let down your coach, team-mates and family if you do.
• Remember, vilification not only breaches NFL Rules, it is against the law. Players or officials found guilty may face disciplinary action by their club, the NFL and possible police action.
• Whilst wearing GJFC attire, or whenever attending post match events or club functions you are representing GJFC and are expected to behave appropriately.
Parents and Supporters Code of Conduct
• Remember that you are there for the participants to enjoy the game.
• Encourage participation, but don’t force it.
• Teach that enjoyment is more important than winning.
• Never ridicule mistakes or losses – supporters are there to support not downgrade.
• Lead by example and respect all players, coaches, umpires and supporters – physical or verbal abuse will not be tolerated.
• Recognise and respect all volunteers who are giving up their valuable time.
• Never publicly criticise umpires – raise personal concerns with club officials in private.
• Do not use offensive comments based on race, religion, gender or ability – you’ll let down your family and your club if you do.
• Remember, vilification not only breaches NFL Rules, it is against the law. Parents / supporters found guilty may face disciplinary action by their club, the NFL and possible police action.
YOUR CONDUCT IN SOCIAL MEDIA
While all individuals are welcome to participate in Social Media, it is expected that everyone who participates in online commentary in relation to activities involving the Greensborough Junior Football Club and the Northern Football League shall respect and adhere to the following simple but important guidelines. These guidelines are in place to assist in achieving our overall goal, that is, to participate online in a respectful, relevant way that protects the reputation of the Greensborough Junior Football Club and the Northern Football League and the individuals within it, and of course follows the letter and spirit of the law:
– Be transparent and state that you are affiliated with the Greensborough Junior Football Club. Your honesty will be noted in the Social Media environment. If you are writing about matters relating to the Greensborough Junior Football Club or a competitor, use your real name, identify that your affiliation, and be clear about your role. If you have a vested interest in what you are discussing, be the first to say so.
– Never represent yourself, the Greensborough Junior Football Club or the Northern Football League in a false or misleading way. All statements must be true and not misleading; all claims must be substantiated.
– Post meaningful, respectful comments — in other words, no spam and no remarks that are of topic or offensive.
– Use common sense and common courtesy: for example, it’s best to ask permission to publish or report on conversations that are meant to be private or internal.
– When disagreeing with others’ opinions, keep it appropriate and polite. If you want to write about the competition, make sure you behave diplomatically, have the facts straight and that you have the appropriate permissions.
– Never participate in Social Media when the topic being discussed may be considered a crisis situation. Even anonymous comments may be traced back to your IP address.
– Be smart about protecting yourself and your privacy.
– Think globally, what you publish is widely accessible and will be around for a long time, so consider the content carefully; you should be respectful of religions, races, individuals, cultures. Google has a long memory!
CONSEQUENCE OF BREACH
Any breach of the above guidelines may result in disciplinary action against the offending party, at the discretion of the Greensborough Junior Football Club and/or the Northern Football League Board.
By registering a child with the Greensborough Junior Football Club and the Northern Football League, the players and their parents/supporters are required to abide by these principles. Additionally, officials and volunteers are also bound by these codes. The Northern Football League require each Club to take any necessary disciplinary actions including the suspension and banning where warranted of any players, parents, volunteers or spectators for breaches of these Codes of Conduct. If you require copies of the NFL rules and policies these can be found at nfl.org.au.
PLAYER NAME: ……………………………………. ………………………………………….
PARENT/GUARDIAN NAME: ………………………………… ………………………………………….
PARENT/GUARDIAN NAME: ………………………………… ………………………………………….
The NFL accepts that it is difficult for clubs to control the behavior of supporters who may not necessarily be a member of the Greensborough Junior Football Club. All effort is to be made by Club Officials to approach any supporter who is displaying a poor attitude towards players, umpires or other supporters and attempt to change the behavior of such supporters. In the event of such supporters being from an opposing club, Officials of the opposing club should be approached to engage with supporters.